The Wolfville Farmer’s Market is celebrating Pride at their Wednesday evening market, today, July 20, from 4:00 -7:00 pm. The VYP will be there – drop by our table and say “Hi!”
Here’s a list of other participants:
· Acadia PRIDE: Acadia Pride is an outreach organization that is a part of the ASU that aims to bring LGBT+ individuals in the student and Wolfville community together to create a strong community. We wish to share our resources and add to our list of resources to help LGBT+ individuals in need.
· Art by Bea / Artfulness – Painting for the soul: Beatrice Salsman was born and raised in the beautiful Annapolis Valley. In her earlier years, Bea enjoyed painting in oils and water colour. She has studied with various artists throughout Nova Scotia and British Columbia. Her creative energy directed her life’s journey through careers in carpentry and stained glass. Returning to her Nova Scotia roots, and to her love of painting, she now uses acrylics as her chosen medium of expression. The subjects of her work are diverse and her art is currently in galleries in NB and NS.
· Certified Travel Consultant – GowithHippo Travel: Karla is an avid traveller with a passion for helping everyone to discover the world! Karla is a Certified Travel Consultant with a unique focus on LGBTQ2S trips, as well as family vacations, and tours for solo travellers.
She offers personalized expertise (and payment plans!) to help find you a trip that’s the perfect match for you! Everywhere You Go, GO with HIPPO Travel!
· Halifax Pride: Halifax Pride has been producing events in Nova Scotia for 29 years that aim to be accessible to all, fiscally responsible, and honour and celebrate all parts of the LGBTQ+ community. One of the key features of Halifax Pride’s activities is a Pride Festival, happening now, in Halifax. Halifax Pride also aims to advocate for and mentor LGBTQ+ groups in rural Nova Scotia.
· Knitty Kitty Crafts: Knitty Kitty Crafts specializes in different geek fandom and Pride related goods crafted from yarn or threads through crochet, knitting and cross stitching.
· Let’s Get Belligerent and Talk: Collecting resources and building community for Canadian queers, Let’s Get Belligerent and Talk aims to create an easily navigable list of all LGBT-friendly and focused resources available to Canadians, including but not limited to: support groups, doctors, businesses, community events, therapists, websites, etc. We host LGBT+-empowering events in our communities and support the work of local activists. LGB&T is run from Atlantic Canada by Desdemona Shaw and Jesse Macmillan.
· Merritt Gibson Library: The books on the Diversity Bookshelf span many perspectives, with an emphasis on African Canadian, First Nations and LGTBQ experiences. The Library received financial support from the Municipality of the County of Kings through the Race Relations and Anti-Discrimination Committee to establish the Bookshelf. All books are examples of the goals laid out in the Action Plan for Ending Racism and Discrimination in the Municipality of the County of Kings.
· Mr.Bs Tees: Chief bottle washer, dryer ball maker, tie-dyer, play-doh maker, crayon inventor and owner of this incredible business is Brendon Purdy-Smith. Diagnosed as a young child with an intellectual disability did nothing to slow this young man down. After graduating from High School in 2010, together with CAPRE, he started his business and has been laughing ever since. Mr. Bs Tees allows Brendon and his employee to work daily running a small business. Enjoyable, meaningful work helps us all focus, have a purpose, feel valued and appreciate life a little more. Brendon is no different. Mr Bs Tees has supported The Valley Youth Project in the past and we would love to do that again by donating 15% of our sales from that market to that organization this year.
· Paradise Papercraft: Paradise Papercraft is wholly owned and operated by a work from home gay father.
· Wolfville Area Pride Group: The Wolfville Area Pride Group is an ad hoc group of volunteers who organize events and education/awareness activities for LGBTQ* community members and allies.